Here is an update on my work on the West Wight Potter 15 #1036. As you can see in the last post we managed to get the boat off the trailer and up on blocks. The keel came out with a little help from a friend, and this weekend I took it over to another friend for sand blasting. If you ever need to do something like this, here is a hint that might help you. Sign makers often have a sand blaster for making sand blasted signs! That was the case with my friend Walker. He runs a small sign shop out of his home and was happy to lend a hand with the keel refinishing project.
I am taking advantage having the boat off the trailer in another way too. I am replacing all the parts that contact the boat. That means a new winch, new rollers, and new bunk covers. I remember last year I crawled under the trailer for most of a day and rewired it and replaced all the lights. Then the next time I launched the boat I could see all my work from above, and thought it would be so much easier to do that if there was no boat on the trailer!
I bought some keel rollers at West Marine for $10 each, but then saw a similar roller at Cabela's for $5. Cabela's also has good prices on bunk carpet and winches. The carpet at Cabela's was about half the price as West Marine. And when it came time to pick out a winch, I was able to get one at Cabela's for less than $40 that more than doubled my pulling capacity.
So the next step in the spring re-fit is to get the keel to the galvanizer in Ballard, then re-assemble it all when the keel is finished. I may be adding guide posts to the trailer. I would like to mount the tail lights up high so that the salt water will not be able to get to them. My waterproof lights I bought last year lasted less than one season before the salt water ate away the electrodes in the fixture. I am glad I bought the extended warranty. Too bad it doesn't come with free installation!